[Zope3-dev] renaming MementoBags..conclusions?

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
15 May 2002 11:02:51 -0400

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 10:44, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> >
> > So an annotation can contain simple objects like lists and strings, as
> > well as instances of core Zope classes, but an annotation should not
> > contain instances of classes that could be uninstalled someday.  That
> > rules out 3rd party classes.  The word annotation connotes brevity and
> > limited expression, I think. (Unlike this discussion ;-) )
>
> As I explained in my proposal about transitively registering adapters, I
> might want to create a way of storing my Annotations in an RDBMS, or
> some other external storage, rather than as objects in an OOBTree (as
> they are currently implemented by default).
>
> Having rules about what is allowed to be an Annotation makes this
> easier, but I'm not sure we know enough about how Annotations will be
> used to make such rules yet.

I don't think the "only simple objects" bit is going to be an acceptable
restriction;  the default ZODB-based implementation should plan to do
something sensible (raise an exception) if the un-unpickleable thing is
actually needed, but otherwise be useable.  After all, the most likely
client of the "cucumberable" opaque token is the very code which has
been uninstalled!

Tres.