[Zope3-dev] Package organization quandry

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 15:28:56 -0400

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> But, referring back to the spaghetti thread (!), if the PageTemplate
> package is to be usable outside of Zope, I really want to see that
> spelled:
>
>     from PageTemplate.PageTemplateFile import PageTemplateFile
>
> IOW, code that uses PageTemplate should not have to prepend it with a
> Zope package prefix.

We'll discuss this later in person, but for now, we're thinking of the
"Zope." prefix as merely a namespace division, similar to Java's
"org.foo." prefix convention.  Being able to import Zope.PageTemplate
does not imply that Zope.Security is also available.  Also, the prefix
means we don't have to invent overly creative names. ;-)  PageTemplate
is sort of a bad example, since it has a good name that can stand alone.

Shane