[Zope3-dev] Package organization quandry

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 18 May 2002 09:34:15 -0400

"Patrick K. O'Brien" wrote:

> Especially as it relates to zodb, btrees, indexing and catalogues and other
> goodies that I am interested in using outside of Zope. Even better is if I
> can CVS each of these independently into my "code" directory (which is on
> the python path) as python packages and start using them without having to
> install them with distutils or move them or modify my pythonpath.

None of this has anything to do with package organization. The Zope 3
Zope package is purely a container package to give Zope project packages
their own namespace so that they can have readable names that don't conflict
with meaningful names from other projects that you might want to use in the
same package.  It's just as easy to use Zope.PageTemplate outside of Zope
as it is to use PageTemplate.