[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zip] Translation question

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Sun, 19 May 2002 20:33:00 +0200

From: "Jim Fulton" <jim@zope.com>
> > - different domains (I don't like that)
>
> Why?

Because it doesn't feel like it is a different domain in the same sense as
it is used for "Weekdays", "Astronomy" and "Companies".

> > - different message storages and a possibility to select storage, or
>
> Right, but how would they be selected?

Together with the language in the language negotiation, I would expect. The
language negotiation would depend on what storage you use, since different
storages may have different sets of languages.

> I don't think application code should do this as it makes things too hard
to change.

So you mean that the storage isn't visible from the application at all?
In that case the domain does need to encompass the selection of which
product you are using as well, and domain gets a wider purpose. What storage
gets selected would then depend on what domain you select I guess, since the
domains could be stored in different storages?

> > - differing translation services for the different parts of the same
Zope
> > instance  (doesn't sound good either)
>
> Again, why? One of the benefits of Zope 3 is that it lets site managers
> override UI to meet specific needs. Don't you think site managers might
> also want to override/customize translations?

Of course, but would they need a completely different service for that? If
you override the root service with a new service just to customize the
translations of product A, what happens to the translations of product B?

> Well, there might be value in standard terminology for standard operations
> accross applications.

Yeah, I guess for the management interface you could use some common
translations for example for "Change" buttons, and so.

> Because different developers might use different "implicit" source
> languages.

OK, I see what you mean. As far as I can see this is yet another reason to
not share translations across subsystems. :-)