[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zip] Translation question

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:40:34 -0400

Lennart Regebro wrote:

> > I don't think application code should do this as it makes things too hard
> to change.
>
> So you mean that the storage isn't visible from the application at all?

Right. I want to decouple this.

> In that case the domain does need to encompass the selection of which
> product you are using as well, and domain gets a wider purpose.

Right. Maybe domain isn't a good name. If we are saying that each product
get's it's own translations, it's not clear to me that we need domains as
originally concieved, as each product author knows what domain they're
talking about.

> What storage
> gets selected would then depend on what domain you select I guess, since the
> domains could be stored in different storages?

Right, although "storage" is an implementation detail. ;)

> > > - differing translation services for the different parts of the same
> Zope
> > > instance  (doesn't sound good either)
> >
> > Again, why? One of the benefits of Zope 3 is that it lets site managers
> > override UI to meet specific needs. Don't you think site managers might
> > also want to override/customize translations?
>
> Of course, but would they need a completely different service for that?

If you are *globally* customizing a translation, then you don't need a new
service. You might want to customize a translation in just one part of your site.

> If
> you override the root service with a new service just to customize the
> translations of product A, what happens to the translations of product B?

You probably wouldn't override the service. Presumably the service has a
framework for plugging in specific translations. (We've been calling these
message catalogs.) You should be able to plug in an alternate translation
for a product and target language.

> > Because different developers might use different "implicit" source
> > languages.
>
> OK, I see what you mean. As far as I can see this is yet another reason to
> not share translations across subsystems. :-)

:)