[Zip] Re: [Zope3-dev] Zope 3 ids, names, and unicode

Stefane Fermigier sf@fermigier.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:24:16 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:18:00AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Stefane Fermigier wrote:
> >=20
> > On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:30:41PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I'd say ids in Zope, as they show up in urls at least, can ha=
ve
> > > a meaning. They don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather nice
> > > that they *can* (it makes for readable urls among others). Very sim=
ilar
> > > to file names, which don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather =
nice
> > > that they can.
> >=20
> > Right. Except that for Joe Average Desktop Operating system And Offic=
> > Automation User, file names are the only way they have to order their
> > content, so it's very important that they are meaningful to them.
> >=20
> > Regarding the wikinames, we, the french users, are a little bit less =
desperate
> > than japanese or other non-latin character sets, but the restriction =
on ASCII
> > only characters is annoying for many customers.
>=20
> Could you be more specific about the frustration? Is this a matter of f=
older
> listings? URLs? Something else?

Two biggest complains are:

1) Wikinames

2) Folder listing when using WebDAV.

In both cases, you can't (or it's harder to) use accented caracters (lati=
n-1)=20
and most people find it unsatisfactory.

Otherwise, most people don't look at URLs, except when you read them on p=
aper
and have to type them.

	S.

--=20
St=E9fane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
http://nuxeo.com/ & http://portalux.com/ & http://aful.org/
"Amazon: we patent the dot in .com"