[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 ids, names, and unicode

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:47:02 -0400

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Yusei Tahara wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > > Uh, will Russion speakers find such a URL useful? Will anyone else?
> > I don't want to use Japanese in URI segments(I'm from Japan:-).
> >
> > But, such as ZWiki, wikipage name is content ids, then I can not named
> > it in Japanese.Japanese name is better than ascii for me.
> >
> > I think there is a problem that identifier and name are mixed.Ids are
> > only for identification, it has no mean.
>
> Well, I'd say ids in Zope, as they show up in urls at least, can have
> a meaning. They don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather nice
> that they *can* (it makes for readable urls among others). Very similar
> to file names, which don't have to have a meaning, but it's rather nice
> that they can.

This is more than just nice. It's a major advantage of Zope over most
other systems, at least for languages that allow meaning to be expressed
in ascii. :)

Hm, this is kinda deep. Is there such a thing as a meaningful URL in
Japanese?