[Zope3-dev] Slide comments (was re: RFC: Heads up! Majorchanges coming!)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 16:58:34 -0400

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> At 09:05 AM 5/28/02 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> >I've posted a copy of the updated slides at
> >http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/TutorialSlides/index.html.
> >
> >for your review and comment here. (They aren't Wiki pages. :(.

Thanks for the comments.

> The slides "ContactEditView.py" and "ContactEditPresentation Methods" seem
> to be inconsistent in the names of the class and methods.  The code refers
> to 'self.index()' instead of 'self.editForm()', for example.

Thanks, I'll fix that. There are a bunch of other things like that. :)

> Also, the "browser:defaultView" part is a little confusing; it says you can
> create a named view or a default view, but it's not clear to me from
> reading it how I would designate a non-default named view,

defaultView creates and registers a named view and registers it as a default view.

To register a non-default view, use the view directive.

> or what happens
> if I have two "defaultView" directives.

If they are for the same content type, you get an error.

> Similarly, when we get to the part about "browser:view" and "zmi:tabs",
> there seem to be some identifier inconsistencies once again, or some kind
> of clash between the idea of view names and page names.  I'm not sure what
> was actually meant in that section.

The page subdirectives register a named view with the given URL and that
calls the given attribute on the view component.

> There's a dangling reference to adding "features" (should be adapters) in
> the section at the beginning that outlines the presentation.

Thanks.

> And the last slide ("Using the new adapter") has code that calls
> 'queryAdapter' (probably should be 'getAdapter').

No, queryXXX methods are new. getXXX methods raise errors if the desired
thing can't be found. queryXXX methods return a default value.