[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] Content Types: What are they? Do we need them for Zope 3

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:28:31 +0000

Jim Fulton wrote:

> - Zope 2 has something called "meta type".  This is used for at
>   least two different things in Zope 2:

I find meta types nto very useful and would prefer to just use the actual class
name. Is that teh case in Zope 3?

> - The Content Management Framework (CMF) has "portal types".
>   Portal types were orginally meant to be like meta types that
>   could be set on individual instances.

I find portal types extremely useful.
I like them for grouping together an object's behaviour (including presentation)
based on what type of data it is.

So for example, everything that makes a Book bookish would be in its content type.

Why not use classes for this? Well, 'cos I'd like to be able to change the type
of a piece of content without majorly bad things happening.

How is that currently done in Zope 3?

cheers,

Chris