[Zope3-dev] Locale and Object Formatting (numbers and datetimes)

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:12:33 -0500

On Saturday 23 November 2002 19:59, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Okay, so let's say your interfaces describe the "locale" service.  There
> still needs to be some kind of service that lets applications be
> ignorant of all date and currency formatting, unicode encoding, etc.
> You service doesn't quite reach that goal.  For example, your service
> includes a method getDateTimeFormat(), and the application is expected
> to include all the logic of formatting a datetime accordingly.  But
> applications should not have to work so hard.  Some service needs a
> formatDateTime() method, which does all the work and already knows what
> locale to use.

Hi Shane,

I do not claim the interfaces are complete. If you think these "convenience"
methods are useful, then feel free to add them to the interfaces. No
problemo. All I really did was to copy the ICU API in a pythonic way. I am
glad someone else is looking over these Interfaces to check their usability.
;-)

Regards,
Stephan
--