[Zope3-dev] Win32 Tests - Zope 3 (C extensions built with Borland compiler) - Not OK :-(

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:55:08 -0500

  GC> The current output of Zope3 test suite contains the word 'error'
  GC> which is used as a trigger by Chris Withers autotester to state
  GC> that the test were Not OK :-(

This request is actually harder than it sounds.  The unittest module
knows about individual unit tests.  It says OK if all the tests it
runs are successful.  We've extended the basic mechanism with a tool
for finding unittests, but the OK is still printed by unittest.

The current policy is to print error messages when imports fail during
the search for tests, but there's no obvious way to tell the unittest
module that something went wrong.  If you run with -d, you'll get a
traceback showing exactly what went wrong, but that's not useful for
an automated test runner.

I think the right answer is to extend test.py with a way to report
import errors.  I think that will be a little tricky, because the
unittest module wasn't designed to allow extensions like that.  I've
added a collector issue, because I won't get to this right away.

Jeremy