[Zope3-dev] RFC: ViewDirectoryHierarchyReorganization

Shane Hathaway shane@ZOPE.COM
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:38:12 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In order to make life easier for web developers getting into Zope 3,
> I've made a proposal to drastically review the way views (in particular
> browser views) are currently organized physically. The full story
> is here:
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ViewDirectoryHierarchyReorganization
>
> Please comment!

I like this proposal.  But are you referring to web developers
maintaining their own sites, or are you referring to web developers
maintaining Zope 3 source code?  If the former, you don't want web
developers to modify the Zope 3 source to maintain their own sites.  If
the latter, they probably need to get to know Zope 3 pretty intimately
anyway.

I'll assume you're speaking of the former case (web developers
maintaining their own sites).  In that case, I think we want to give web
developers a "sandbox" of some sort to do their work, apart from the
Zope 3 source.  The sandbox might take the form of a web UI, or it might
take the form of a directory on the filesystem which they are allowed to
modify.

We expect in the future that Python developers will "check out" and
"check in" code to ZODB.  So here's an idea: perhaps web developers
could do the same thing, but with templates and graphics rather than
code.  In fact, read-only interface documentation might be included as
part of the checkout.

What do you think?

Shane