[Zope3-dev] ZCMLHelpViaMetaConfiguration implementation available for test

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:52:10 -0400 (EDT)

I've checked in the current state of my work on the proposal

    http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ZCMLHelpViaMetaConfiguration

on a branch named rdmurray-metameta-branch.  Please check it out by doing:

    cvs -d:ext:yourid@cvs.zope.org/cvs-repository co -r rdmurray-metameta-branch Zope3

If you cd into utilities and do

    python makezcmldocs.py

you will end up with a subdirectory structure in utilities named
namespaces.zope.org that parallels the one in doc/zcml but using data
extracted from the meta.zcml files.  The only two directives that
have such docs in the branch are zope/content.stx, zope/directive.stx,
and zope/directives.stx.  The other files will contain only the
directive and subdirective names and handlers.

makezcmldocs.py is not a finished product, but rather a proof of
concept.  The text it generates is not valid structured text yet,
and it only paragraph wraps the descriptions if you are running
python2.3 (ie: python from cvs).

Most of the new code in the branch is in new files:
Zope/Configuration/[metameta.[py,zcml],metametaForDocgen.[py,zcml]]
and utilities/makezcmldocs.[py,zcml].  The only changed files are
meta.py, site.zcml, and the Zope/App/ContentDirective meta.zcml
file and the tests that reference it.  You might want to pay
particular attention to that meta.zcml file, as it demonstrates
the format I want to change all of the other meta.zcml files to.

Please review and let me know if this is acceptable and desirable
ie: should I merge it and finish the implementation of
makezcmldocs.py?  Assuming the code is viewed favorably,
comments on what would make a good layout for the generated
stx files would be welcome.

--RDM