[Zope3-dev] ObjectHub notes: removing objects

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:01:47 -0400

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 19:10, KevinL wrote:

> You do touch on an important point though: how *do* we keep the event
> service chugging?

By which you mean "How do we make sure the necessary events are generated?"
?

> this part of the mechanism has two proposed solutions, so far.  There is
> the "don't do anything without getting an event-sending adapter around
> it first" approach, which would solve your concern because it would not
> be the folder that sent the events. This or some variation will probably
> happen since it is what I heard last from Jim, I think.

Right.

> This might be annoying and fragile if the programmer had to get the
> adapter every time IMHO.

Generating proper events will be a core responsibility of application
programmers. I realized, in working on the dublin core, that this was so.
On the positive side, events free the application programmer from worrying
about all the things the frameworks want done at various times, as there
are event subscribers sitting around that know about those things.

 > Maybe this solution could move towards the
> idea of this kind of wrapper being part of the traversal mechanism,
> which might just be the best thing--I haven't thought that through, and
> I haven't heard anyone actually propose it, and it probably is a bit
> frightening :-).

We may, eventually, decide we want this, but I'd like to resist this for
a while.

> The other approach (which I have on occasion espoused) says that folders
> might need to send some of the pertinent events themselves about their
> contents.

No. Forget it. :)

> There is no Zope 3 manual--just lots of nice interfaces--

> I wish we had a nice intro to get folks started on everything Zope
> 3-ish--Jim's programmer's tutorial teaches the component architecture
> very well but once you get beyond that the interfaces are your best
> friends, I think...  If you haven't seen the tutorial check it out
> (literally--in CVS--ar ar ar)

This is getting to be a big problem. I'm going to try to focus on this soon,