[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:35:50 -0400

Hi Barry!

> Seems like there's quite a few Python implementations of these
> services.  The standard library has a bare minimum smtp server (my
> crufty smtpd.py),

Well, but it does not work out of the box, so it is not usable for the average
non-developer. This also does not handle users.

> and of course there's also Twisted's implementations.  Lots to choose from.

Twisted has the same problem. It is a framework, not a ready to go
application.

>     SR> Also, in my opinion that makes Zope 3 much cooler. (I can see
>     SR> Windows people just using Zope for its SMTP capabilities, as
>     SR> there is no other good free one out there, except shicks! from
>     SR> which I derived my original code. Gerson, the author of
>     SR> shicks!, since then modularized shicks! a lot, so that we can
>     SR> just use his Spam detection code now.
>
> Time for spambayes integration!

yeah, didn't Gerson want to implement spambayes the last time we chatted with
him?

>     SR> I really, really think an SMTP server is important, if Zope
>     SR> wants to grow 10x...also think of Mailman 3... We need to get
>     SR> away of just thinking about HTTP and friends...
>
> Agreed, but there are risks, depending on how scalable you eventually
> want to make it.  We'd definitely need a pluggable architecture so
> that we could drop in dedicated independent servers, smurf farms, etc.

Definitely! But Shane and I wrote the server code already in a plug-in
fashion. See Twisted, which works already in front of Zope 3, if you like.

> (IMO, on *nix at least, putting together a small net smtp+imap
> arrangement consisting of Postfix + UW imap is braindead simple.  For
> another idea, take something like Greg Ward's elspy project and you
> can see the power of marrying Exim with Python.  Way cool.)

:-) Sure. But there are of course many advantages for having it inside the
Zope Server Framework as well, not at last that Zope has a default SMTP
server at all.

Regards,
Stephan
--