[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:32:51 -0500

    >> Seems like there's quite a few Python implementations of these
    >> services.  The standard library has a bare minimum smtp server
    >> (my crufty smtpd.py),

    SR> Well, but it does not work out of the box, so it is not usable
    SR> for the average non-developer. This also does not handle
    SR> users.

I do believe it works out of the box, although I haven't played with
it in a while, so it's possible there's a little bitrot.  Should be
easy to fix if so.

But, of course it doesn't handle users, at least out of the box.  It
truly is a "minimum smtp server" in the sense that it implements the
bare minimum RFC 2821 required SMTP protocol.  It's absolutely not
meant to be a functionally complete mail server someone could drop on
their MX's port 25. :)  But any smtp client (including smtplib.py)
should be able to send it messages just fine.

-Barry