[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:46:37 -0500

    GvR> OK, you've convinced me now.  RoundUp supports this and it's
    GvR> actually quite handy for simple interactions (the body of
    GvR> your message gets added, and the subject contains some magic
    GvR> cookies that tell it to which issue and perhaps other
    GvR> actions).

    GvR> If someone wants to build a tracker in Zope, it should be
    GvR> able to receive email if they want to.

    >> interfaces between then, and for integrating them.  It doesn't
    >> make a lot of sense to keep re-inventing the same wheels with
    >> slightly different mountings for each of them.

    GvR> Is this an argument for or against integrating an SMTP server
    GvR> in Zope?

Mostly against.  I really don't think you need an smtp server in Zope
to be able to get it to receive email.  The question is whether Zope
wants to be a protocol framework too.  How much server side protocol
support does Zope need in order to provide the functionality we want
it to have?

-Barry