[Zope3-dev] Testing SmtpService

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:57:11 -0500

    >> Seems like there's quite a few Python implementations of these
    >> services.  The standard library has a bare minimum smtp server
    >> (my crufty smtpd.py),

    SR> Well, but it does not work out of the box, so it is not usable
    SR> for the average non-developer. This also does not handle
    SR> users.

    BAW> I do believe it works out of the box, although I haven't
    BAW> played with it in a while, so it's possible there's a little
    BAW> bitrot.  Should be easy to fix if so.

No bitrot in Python 2.2.2.

I now have a test case for SmtpService which uses smtpd.py.  I had to
use threads so the reader and writer don't block each other, but it
was pretty easy to do.  I'll go ahead and check these in so folks can
see what my ideas are here.

I'd still like to rewrite SmtpService along the lines I mentioned in
my previous message, but I'll leave that for another time.

-Barry