[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:36:54 -0500

> Whether someone specifically needs SMTP integrated as a protocol in
> Zope 3, I would imagine would really be up to individual
> requirements, however I would like to think it is possible and
> fairly straight forward to do such a thing.  Being able to "plug in"
> (probably not the correct term as plug-in is often misused ;-) new
> protocols, or at least implement new protocols in Zope 3, in a
> straight forward and well documented manner would have to be a big
> attractor and feature of Zope
> 3.
>
> I think we do need to have a protocol framework, and sure many
> protocols aren't shipped with Zope 3, (ie Jabber support)

I agree that it should be possible to plug in new protocols easily.
But whence this desire to support "many protocols"?  Have you all been
watching too much Twisted lately?  Protocols need to make sense for
Zope.  Why would you want Zope to support Jabber?

Twisted has different goals than Zope; it is a framework for writing
arbitrary net applications.  Zope limits itself (mostly) to that
subset of web applications that require mostly-read access to
persistent objects, with added services like access control,
authentication, multiple views, cataloging, and so on.