[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:59:14 +0100

>> I think we do need to have a protocol framework, and sure many
>> protocols aren't shipped with Zope 3, (ie Jabber support)
>
> I agree that it should be possible to plug in new protocols easily.
> But whence this desire to support "many protocols"?  Have you all been
> watching too much Twisted lately?  Protocols need to make sense for
> Zope.  Why would you want Zope to support Jabber?

actually we're planning a WebCommunity system that will use Jabber to
combine IM-Presence with WebPresence e.g. when a user logged in,
he is "online" and get some info in the site's header who's online
as well .. he can then send/receive messages through the jabber protocol
to/from other users that are online.

this does not need to be in the core but there should be hooks, that
things like this could be implemented easily (without hacking Zope
like it is necessary yet.)

Ulrich Eck
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH
Ebersberger Str. 46