[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:57:37 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
[snip]
> I agree that it should be possible to plug in new protocols easily.

You and I are in agreement then. :)

> But whence this desire to support "many protocols"?  Have you all been
> watching too much Twisted lately?  Protocols need to make sense for
> Zope.  Why would you want Zope to support Jabber?

It should be easy to plug Jabber into Zope. Zope doesn't need to support
Jabber out of the box, but it should be easy to plug Jabber into an
object publisher. There needs to be a framework to make this easy.
I'd say it'd be a set of interfaces you need to fullfill in order to plug
something in. There could be some optional interfaces you could
implement if you want certain features. Authentication for instance would
be optional; email doesn't have it, FTP might have it though, etc.

I imagine Zope 3 already has some of this anyway. Perhaps the only
job left is documenting it. :)

Then there's a packaging/installation issue so it's very easy to install
new protocol support into Zope.

> Twisted has different goals than Zope; it is a framework for writing
> arbitrary net applications.  Zope limits itself (mostly) to that
> subset of web applications that require mostly-read access to
> persistent objects, with added services like access control,
> authentication, multiple views, cataloging, and so on.

I agree Zope shouldn't try to be like Twisted as the goals are indeed
different.

Zope 3 is a bit more than a web application framework though; the hope
is that the component architecture will also make it easier to write
non-web apps with it (and hopefully also worthwhile). If things like that
don't happen in my opinion the component architecture will have failed.

Regards,

Martijn