[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:01:25 +0000

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> *people* to talk to an object, a web browser seems to be a better
> solution than typing commands in an email message.

Not if you're working offline ;-)

Laptops on trains/plains/cars and processign queues of email is a very common
usecase for me...

> Do you really want to create e.g. a mailing list manager that accepts
> commands via email, like mailman or listserv, using Zope?

It would be nice, but I worry about the bloat...

> do, does it really make sense to have the SMTP server integrated in
> the Zope server,

No

> rather than having the mail piped into a little
> helper program that parses the mail looking for commands and then
> makes some calls to Zope (e.g. using XMLRPC)?

That's the better and more flexible route.

As an example, even if Zope's SMTP server was perfect (it won't be ;-) can you
imagine XYZ Corp replacing their frontline M$ SMTP server with Zope?

...I don't think so...

cheers,

Chris