[Zope3-dev] Re: Protocol support was [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:12:10 -0500

> Actually I have yet to play with Twisted.
>
> Actually my desire to utilise new protocols came from
> some of the research I am doing (paid for, not personal) into
> community frameworks.
>
> One of things we would like to achieve is provide many different
> access channels into an online community, where the line
> between content access, messaging etc.. start to blur.
>
> And zope as an application server rather than content server
> actually provides a pretty good platform for playing around with this
> sort of stuff.
>
> Personally I have thought that Zope could be a really good mud/moo
> platform. ie build the objects TTW, but interact through other protocols
> such as telnet/jabber ....
>
> I suppose that all the talk of "not" making Zope3 CMF specific but
> rather it is an application server, that one can build CMF's on,
> makes me think we shouldn't limit the scope of applications or
> for that matter how one can access them.

I expect that Zope3 will have good support for adding new protocols.
I don't expect that it will come with many "non-traditional" (as far
as Zope is concerned) protocols built in.