[Zope3-dev] Protocol support was [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:17:46 -0500

> 2) However, I propose we *should* have a "how to" written for initial
> release (perhaps as part of Jim's tutorial) on how to build Zope 3
> pluggable protocols.  Work on this should *replace* work on any extra
> cool protocols for now.  This document should also be a significant way
> for us to evaluate the architecture as we look for things that need
> refactoring--that is, the instructions should describe an interface that
> is not unnecessarily difficult to implement and connect, and if it is,
> we should polish until it isn't.
>
> *If some people are willing to guide me or get me started on # 3 (who?
> I know Stephan knows this but is busy at Doctorate) then I'm willing to
> write up a first draft.*

Eminently reasonable (if by #3 you meant #2 :-).  I expect that in
order to write a useful manual, you'll have to attempt to add a new
protocol and use it for a while, so you can know all the quirks
necessary (I'd be surprised if there weren't any :-).