[Zope3-dev] 10x growth for Zope? Never without docs

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:24:57 -0500

What folks need to understand is this.  Currently, ZC is like a guy
riding a bicycle on a tight wire.  If he stops pedaling in order to
add another seat to his bicycle (so he can have some company), he will
almost certainly fall over and hurt himself.

It is a rough business climate.  And unfortunately, you can't keep the
lights on by writing docs.  It is important that ZC keeps the lights
on.  This is not to say that ZC is floundering, we're busy and money
comes in and goes out.  But when it comes down to it, ZC alone cannot
afford to pay a developer's salary to just write docs.  And it's a
full-time job just to document the stuff that's already in use.

It's my hope that we'll get to the other end of the tightrope soon and
have the breathing room to begin to concentrate on growing the market
by writing docs.  Zope 3 also makes great use of interfaces as a
documentation tool, so documenting it won't be so painfully manual.

All this said, I agree wholly with the sentiment of your message.

- C