[Zope3-dev] Proposal for file-system synchronization in Zope3

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:36:56 -0400

Deb Hazarika wrote:
>>As mentioned in the proposal, I created a throw away prototype of the
>>
> system
>
>>with basic checkout and checkin
>>

> When can i find this prototype?

You can't, but I hope to get the first non-prototype implementation
done next month.

> Well, Certain things about this system i wd like to ask :
>
> It is clear that the user is going to perform the checkout and checkin etc..
> operations
> through some command line tools. Now here  the question arise
> Is the user going to perform the checkout and checkin etc..operations on the
> ZOPEDB
> as an anonymous user or he has to do a login ( like a cvs login ) ?

At least initially, this will bypass security, so authentication is not an issue.

If we tried to deal with security issues, things would got a lot more
complicated.

> Lastly i would look forward on the representation of zope objects on the
> filesystem.
> This URL says something
> http://www.zope.org//Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/RepresentingObjectsOnTheFilesys
> tem
> Which i think is quite approachable.

That proposal has some problems wrt the goals of file-system synchronization.

1. RepresentingObjectsOnTheFilesystem doesn't try to be lossless.  It's critical
    for file system synchronization to have a lossless representation.

2. The representation isn't flexible enough to represent all object data.

3. The RepresentingObjectsOnTheFilesystem doesn't seem to deal with potential name
    conflicts between data and resource/meta-data files.

4. The RepresentingObjectsOnTheFilesystem proposal mizes data and meta-data.