[Zope3-dev] Proposal for file-system synchronization in Zope3

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:16:00 -0700

> Perhaps a not-so-minor nit:  the CMF's filesystem-based methods are
> designed to allow deployment of *software*, not *content*, from the
> filesystem.  I consider this a crucial distinction, as the use cases
> vary *hugely* for the two kinds of problems (actually, there are three
> distinct cases:  software, configuration, and content).  Jim's proposal
> attempts to make it possible to synchronize *any* of these three between
> ZODB and filesystem, which is a *much* more ambitious goal.

Good point Tres, there are different use cases. In from what I can see in
Zope 3 this will be much better when configuration is handled in zcml files.
The CMF has a distinction between software and content which is great,
however most non-CMF sites I've seen (especially the older ones) blur the
lines greatly. It tends to be the good old jumble of dtml, zsql etc all over
the place.

Whilst the use cases differ I don't see the software differing by a huge
amount, certainly not enough to warrant another product.

Minor, minor nit regarding rdmurray's earlier comment regarding sync. vs
serving: ZFS and LocalFS 1.1 both aim to hack the storage layer so that
whilst objects are on the filesystem, they are served by the ZODB cache. So
they are technically served by the filesystem or the zodb and are real
objects inside the ZODB. But I digress....
--
  Andy McKay
  www.agmweb.ca