[Zope3-dev] Z3 documentation

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:17:19 -0500

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 19:49, Garrett Smith wrote:
> Sounds like online help is a good starting point for me. Is there
> anything in particular I need to know to get going?

Do you have a Linux machine?

1. Get a username on zope.org
2. Sign Contributor agreement
3. Install Python 2.2.2
4. Install Zope 3 from CVS
5. Start Zope

Visit: http://localhost:8080/++help++/

I just noticed that the online help box is not visible in the Rotterdam skin.
I am going to fix that ASAP.

> Agreed. It doesn't make sense to stub out for wikis. Maybe at some point
> (no rush), we could talk about polishing up the front page of the docs
> Wiki and perhaps integrating content from some other sources:
>
>  - lots of excellent content in most of the 'implemented' proposals

Right, we should somehow integrate them into the docs; I would not just link
them, because much info is outdated.

>  - some useful content in some emails

Right, they also need to be compiled.

>  - some useful content in readme files

I think we can just link them to the Web CVS.

>  - other places? hiding?

I dunno...

> Not trying to be overly disruptive here ;-) I guess I see Z3 as a viable
> alternative to J2EE and .NET, which is pretty amazing considering
> relatively few have heard of it. It would be a good thing if newcomers
> could see some J2EE/.NET quality docs. But for this maybe we just wait
> for the new Zope book?

No, I think we need to tackle this decision maker audience soon too. But I
think we can wait until the beta release with that.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter