[Zope3-dev] Z3 documentation

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:49:06 -0600

Sounds like online help is a good starting point for me. Is there
anything in particular I need to know to get going?

> I tried to structure the *existing* documention as good as I=20
> could in the=20
> Documentation Wiki. In my experience it is totally useless in=20
> Free Software=20
> communities (I learned that very early on when I joined the=20
> ZDP in 1999 ;-)=20
> to create a lengthy documentation outline without content,=20
> because everyone=20
> joining the documentation project has his/her own ideas on=20
> what s/he wants to=20
> work on.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense to stub out for wikis. Maybe at some point
(no rush), we could talk about polishing up the front page of the docs
Wiki and perhaps integrating content from some other sources:

 - lots of excellent content in most of the 'implemented' proposals
 - some useful content in some emails
 - some useful content in readme files
 - other places? hiding?

Not trying to be overly disruptive here ;-) I guess I see Z3 as a viable
alternative to J2EE and .NET, which is pretty amazing considering
relatively few have heard of it. It would be a good thing if newcomers
could see some J2EE/.NET quality docs. But for this maybe we just wait
for the new Zope book?

> Wikis are the best

Sold!

Well, amenable at least ;-)

> I To get your feet wet, you could start out=20
> by writing=20
> OnlineHelp documentation (CVS plain text files for now),=20
> since this is fairly=20
> high-level. If you like, I can get you setup.
>=20

Yes, thank you!

Garrett Smith
Mojave Corporation