[Zope3-dev] it's a wiki time warp! and a speed suggestion

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:17:22 -0800

Hmm, my first reply hasn't made it through yet. gmane still authorizing it
perhaps.

Simon Michael <simon@joyful.com> writes:
> I hope nzo will bring us a more efficient zwiki.org-style UI.

And I could allow myself a mini-rant here. Why not ? I don't want my
feelings to be unclear. :)

As I see it you all have been stuck in a wiki time warp for years now.
You're not getting the benefit of Zwiki development work since the
WikiForNow fork. Look at how the flagship Zope 3 project is limping along
in this sluggish, over-protected, small-windowed wiki, with it's quaint
structured text quirks. Trailing blank line makes a heading.. thought I'd
seen the last of that one.

In turn, Zwiki has been starved of priceless feedback and contributions
from this key group of users, it's original intended user base: the zope
developers.

This is not a rant against Ken's outstanding WikiForNow work, all of which
has been merged in Zwiki. The problem has been zope.org's inertia
effectively trapping the zope community within a developmental bywater of
a fairly key tool.

Who can say for sure - it's possible this was better for the fledgling
Zwiki.  But at this point, I'm very pleased that nzo seems imminent.

> Meanwhile, I jumped on the zope 3 wiki to see if I could do anything
> useful.  Fixed a few typos. We should be aware there's quite a problem
> with slowness of saving changes on zope.org, which discourages
> contributors.  I saw FrontPage saves taking 40-60s.

It's actually far too slow to work on. Stephan's trick is to work on
several pages at once. Batch processing.

Is cataloging the issue here ?  If so I'd disable that for wiki pages as a
stopgap measure. Ken, what do you think ?