[Zope3-dev] Number of languages in Zope 3

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:53:28 +0200

>>> What class of user will _only_ want to install Zope?
>>

>> A system admininstrator. The same user who will want to install an
>> RDBMS on a system for use by database administrators. This person
>> doesn't need to know SQL. This person doesn't need to know Python or
>> ZCML.
>
> In what circumstances is a system administrator likely to bethe first
> person in an oganisation who wants to install Zope and start developing
> in it?

What a silly question. Of course a system administrator, as described in
my reply above, will not want to install Zope *and* start developing. We
already established that this system administrator doesn't do the
developing. The same system administrator won't be making SQL queries to
the database they installed either.

>>> Under what circumstances would they need to know more than just the
>>> templating language in order to produce such templates?
>>
>> When they want to do more than write templates.
>
> What templates do you have that use nothing but plain path expressions
> or string expressions?

Almost all of them.
Adding code into templates makes for less maintainable templates.

>> Except when it is not:
>>
>>   When you want something that cannot be achieved without
>>   extra complexity.
>

> And what is this extra complexity buying us?

 From the newly organised front page of the Zope 3 project, you can
easily find the UserGoalsAndUseCases. They should give you a start in
understanding what the extra complexity is buying us.

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage

--
Steve Alexander