[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:08:14 -0400

On Friday 11 April 2003 09:51, Gary Poster wrote:
> My only rebuttal is that _(...) is a declaration itself, and its meaning
> is something we define.  If part of its definition is that 7-bit ascii
> strings are converted to unicode, then great.  Yay, explicit.  Yay,
> easier for common case (and yes, I will thrust my neck out and propose
> 7-bit ascii as Python's common case).

See the comments I sent to Fred. Also see some discussions on the ZIP list and
Anreas Jung's Proposal on the Wikis (in OldProposal's section).

Well, I do not think that in an application like Zope, which is intended for
an international audience, 7-bit ASCII is the common case! I would claim that
70-80% of Zope's market are in Europe. The reason why we put so much emphasis
on I18n tools in Zope 3 is for the fact that a significant amount (as in the
majority) of the users will need this feature.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter