[Zope3-dev] Re: principal events for the event hub

Christian Heimes heimes@faho.rwth-aachen.de
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:45:40 +0200

Steve Alexander wrote:
> I think you're focusing on the wrong problem.
>
> Knowing when someone last logged in might be part of how you calculate
> for them which pages they will be interested in.
> However, it might not. Perhaps when I last logged in, I was too busy to
> read the list that was offered to me.

This example was not a good example. Think of this:
You have a large portal site with thousands of users and a hughe bunch
of forums, zwikis, discussion boards and news lists. The data maybe
stored in some other places like rdbms. Gathering informations causes
some payload on your server and the data needs some space in your zodb.

If you summarize this informations on every request the zodb would swell
very fast and the load on your server is high. You could circumvent the
trouble if you calculate the data on a login or when a user explicitly
looks for new messages by pressing "check for new messages" button.

Christian