[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:36:29 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> May I suggest that while Python's Unicode support is transitional, all
> methods and functions that expect to manipulate Unicode should convert
> strings to Unicode at runtime?  Not all functions would have to do this,
> only those that concatenate strings (I think).

Hm, I think that this is a bad idea:

  * how can I convert strings to unicode if I don't know what encoding the
    string is in?

  * why pay for this performance and code complexity impact?

If your framework properly uses unicode, this is endless overhead on the
programmer for no good reason..

Regards,

Martijn