[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:57:50 -0400

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Shane Hathaway]
>>Then may I make the next (probably obvious) suggestion: let's require
>>that Zope 3 be run with python -U, and fix what's broken with *that*,
>

> That would have to start by fixing -U breakage in Python, so would require
> using Python 2.3 at earliest (and even then assuming we went on a -U crusade
> immediately, so that -U actually worked in 2.3).  My hope was that, having
> added -U, Marc-Andre (and the other Python developers who helped implement
> Unicode) would track down and repair the glitches when using it.  Alas, that
> hope hasn't been met, and it's been a few years, and the original Unicode
> implementers appear to have moved on to other things.  So, at this point, I
> see no good reason to believe it will get done.

Oh.  Then Unicode support in Python is not yet as mature as it needs to
be.  That creates a difficult position for Zope 3 decision makers.
Fortunately for me, I'm not one of them! (ducks)

leaving-it-to-the-experts-ly y'rs, Shane