[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:15:10 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:
[-U option is not reliable]
> Oh.  Then Unicode support in Python is not yet as mature as it needs to
> be.  That creates a difficult position for Zope 3 decision makers.
> Fortunately for me, I'm not one of them! (ducks)

I disagree; from what I understand from an earlier post you said Java
uses 7-bit source throughout. If you do the same with Python then it's
essentially the same as Java, if you deal with I/O the same way (make
sure every text inputted is turned into unicode at first opportunity).

-U merely turns all string literals into unicode by default, but if
your string literals are 7-bit ascii anyway, the operation is a no-op
semantically for most code.

Regards,

Martijn