[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
14 Apr 2003 14:19:39 -0400

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 13:54, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Admittedly, since then I've figured out that we shouldn't try to send
> Unicode HTTP headers over the wire.  There is no way to specify the
> encoding for headers, AFAIK, so I think headers are limited to 7 bit ASCII.

I don't have time to slog through the HTTP specs, but if they're
anything like email headers <wink> then they would be limited to (a
subset of) 7-bit ASCII.  RFCs 2047 and 2231 allow you to encode
non-ASCII characters in headers though.

> So, everyone, aren't there any other examples of binary strings mixing
> unexpectedly with Unicode?  If not, surely the "u" prefix is unnecessary.

Especially if human readable text is already wrapped in _() <wink>.

-Barry