[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:59:42 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:
[snip]
> So, everyone, aren't there any other examples of binary strings mixing
> unexpectedly with Unicode?  If not, surely the "u" prefix is unnecessary.

Why would the u prefix help with this anyway? You'd still have binary strings
mixing unexpectedly with unicode, u prefix for literals or not.

Of course these problems exist. It's our job as Zope 3 framework developers
to take these problems out of the user's hands, give them unicode
to work with, and let the framework take care of encoding issues as much
as possible. That way experts only have to worry about it in a few isolated
places, instead of developers worrying about it everywhere.

Regards,

Martijn