[Zope3-dev] Re: Jabber (was: MailHost)

Christian Heimes heimes@faho.rwth-aachen.de
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:59:14 +0200

Janko Hauser wrote:
> Another thing I think is useful is some kind of logging of send and/or
> failed messages to the filesystem. Sometimes the customer has high
> interest in the platform generated mails and it's a lot of a hassle to
> configure it in the MTA like sendmail or postfix.

A few month ago I wrote a proposal of the usefulness of Jabber (*) for
Zope3 in the DZUG (german zope user group) mailinglist. In short words:

zope server to client::

   Users could be informed or remembered about events like changes,
meetings, alerts and much more

user to zope server::

   Users could response to recieved events (e.g. unlock a changed page
in a workflow) or created events (e.g. a new calendar entry) with an
adjusted jabber client which understands the extend xml data from zope.

user to user communication::

   Messages could both be sent or recieved with a jabber client or a web
interface build with zope. Users could read or write messages with zope
when there are not at home and no jabber client is installed (internet
cafe).

The first point (server to client) would be similar to your idea but
even faster because it's an INSTANT messanger. :)

Christian

(*) Jabber is a  open source instant messanger similar to icq or aim.
There are both free server and client available for multiple plattforms.
Jabbers uses XML to communicate. Python bindings are available.