[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:29:16 -0500

> > We also discussed a nice icon to represent active and inactive
> > connections.  The preferred notation was something along=20
> the lines of
> > the 'lollipop' interface notation in UML:
> >=20
> > Inactive:  -  o--
> > Active:    -o--
> >=20
> > We also discussed variations on wires, pipes and light switches.
>=20
> I believe that getting too literal with the icons and metaphors is a
> bad idea.

Well, we could add a help link to a UML reference site ;-) Or maybe just
green/red lights -- or lit/unlit lightbulbs?

FWIW, I've been scratching my head for a the last couple weeks every
time I look at the stuff in ++etc++site. The term "registration" would
definitively help. The term "connections" begs the question,
"connections to what?" whereas registration suggests "connections to a
system".

There also seems to be a lot of ways to navigate to the same
configuration settings, which makes it tough to understand how things
are structured. Then again, I could easily be just not "getting it".

Btw, it's great to see this much attention to semantics/usability.

- Garrett Smith