[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:50:56 -0400

> Of course it would be stupid if the only reason for choosing
> "connections" was to preserve the "C".  In fact, the word "connections"
> has the same rationale as Ken's description:
>
> > I see this as configuring coordination (or collaboration) between
> > objects.

Yeah, but as I tried to explain in my response to Ken, there's not
actually that much collaboration going on (IMO).

> IOW, collaboration between objects can be mediated by things called
> "connections."

To me (but that may be just me), "connection" is too specific.  It
suggests too strongly a "connection" between two components.

> > Did anyone even consider
> > "registration" in the poll/discussion at the UK sprint?
>
> No.  Actually, I like it more than "connections."

Great.  Me too. :-)

> > OTOH I don't mind if ZCML is called Zope Configuration Markup Language
> > and yet the kind of configuration I'm talking about is renamed to
> > something else;
>
> The 'ZCML' thing is a red herring. Sorry for introducing it :-)

NP.