[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
23 Apr 2003 13:41:19 +0100

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 12:38, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > At the sprint, the we were drifting towards calling it
> > > "connecting" / "connections" -
> >  > this describes quite well what is going on,

> IMO the only thing really pleading for "connections" was that we
> didn't have to change the .zcml file extensions.  If those have to be
> changed anyway I'd say let's look harder.

Of course it would be stupid if the only reason for choosing
"connections" was to preserve the "C".  In fact, the word "connections"
has the same rationale as Ken's description:

> I see this as configuring coordination (or collaboration) between
> objects.

IOW, collaboration between objects can be mediated by things called
"connections."

> Did anyone even consider
> "registration" in the poll/discussion at the UK sprint?

No.  Actually, I like it more than "connections."

> OTOH I don't mind if ZCML is called Zope Configuration Markup Language
> and yet the kind of configuration I'm talking about is renamed to
> something else;

The 'ZCML' thing is a red herring. Sorry for introducing it :-)

seb