[Zope3-dev] Re: i18n domains vs. unique message ids -OR- why Shakespearean English was better

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Aug 18 16:45:33 EDT 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 13:02, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>  > It would have to be solved for ZCML, though. Where do we specify the
>  > 'view_permission' message id in the statement::
>  >
>  >    <permission id="zope.View" title="View" /> ?
>  >
>  > Maybe::
>  >
>  >    <permission id="zope.View" title="[view_permission] View" />
>
> This seems reasonable to me.  The only possible issue would be using
> the implied message id for something where the default text looks like
> that; I'll propose that:
>
>     <permission id="zope.View" title="[] [View] more text" />
>
> would use "[View] more text" as both message id and default text.

Due to the lack of other viable suggestions, I implemented this version and
checked it in.

While Godefroid and Martijn argued heavily for other options, they would
require serious changes in the ZCML framework, which would require a detailed
proposal. Note that we just came out of a ZCMLgeddon and everyone who looked
at the results closely likes it a lot, so that it is very unlikely that a
proposal for a rewrite will be accepted.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter