[Zope3-dev] Re: ZCML

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 18 18:30:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:49, Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2003 16:29, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > I understand, though I think it's unfortunate.  I find it quite
> > difficult to read or write ZCML, and as a result, I haven't worked on
> > Zope 3 for a long time.
>
> I find ZCML really easy to read and write. I have usually no troubles finding
> anything or adding something.

I wish there was a better way to make progress on an issue like this.
Randy Pausch advocates settling usability issues by testing users, often
in laundromats or shopping malls.  That's not the right context here.

If ZCML is a dividing issue, I wish there was a way to make the division
less prominent.  Perhaps more than one way to do it?  Is it just the
syntax that bothers you, Shane, or is it deeper than that?

> > Rather than complain about it, I did some experiments with configuration
> > syntax in the Ape project, and I'm quite happy with the results.  I
> > think Zope 3 could benefit from the things I learned.  But maybe the
> > group isn't ready to listen now.
>
> >From your previous comments I gathered that you simply take a different
> approach and I agree with some others that I do not like it that much. I
> prefer attributes instead of tag elements.

But tag elements are the right way! <wink>

Jeremy