[Zope3-dev] Re: ZCML

Martijn Faassen faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Aug 21 19:36:45 EDT 2003

Stephan Richter wrote:
> > And put human-readable text in text nodes, not as attribute values.
>
> This would totally bloat ZCML and make it unworkable.

This doesn't make sense to me. How many human readable strings are there
in ZCML anyway? How would this totally bloat ZCML?

> I mean theory is nice,
> but Zope is a software, so we have to look at the practical side of things.

Whereas other things don't have to be practical? What are you contrasting
this with? :)

> If ZCML fulfills all XML semantics but is unusable, we lost everything we
> tried to accomplish.

I think putting human readable strings in text nodes will not make
matters unusuable. In fact I think looking at i18n message ids it
will help make things more usable.

Anyway, ZCML is an application of XML. If done well, XML tools can help
handling ZCML, which has some advantages in standards compliance, reuse
of common code and learnability. Just the exercise in semantic modelling
I think will help as well.

You're asserting that actually making ZCML a good XML application will make
matters worse. Could you give some examples of how this happens?

Regards,

Martijn