[Zope3-dev] Zope X3

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Dec 2 11:30:17 EST 2003

I'm sympathetic. :-)  It's definitely "X3"--experimental and new--and it
has definitely had XP-style merciless refactoring.  This is a good
thing, though.  Once the dust has settled and we're ready to look at the
new creation, I think it will be an impressive evolution of the Zope
platform.

For now, your ZPT and DTML skills carry over, and your Python skills are
usable on a cleaner underlying platform.  The Zope 3 Component
Architecture is somewhat new--although the connection to the CMF is
obvious and comfortable.  ZCML may be your biggest stumbling block at
the moment, since the configuration can feel surprising and even hard to
follow especially at first blush, but the power is compelling, and I
have found it largely pleasant to use.

In sum, I wouldn't get bummed now.  My advice would be to casually dig
in now, getting a handle on the big picture, and wait for the dust from
the last of the geddons to settle.  Then Jim and others can readdress
both the docs and the Zope 2->3 transition.

Gary