[Zope3-dev] Realistic Zope 3 roadmap ?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 4 09:55:17 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 09:05, Max M wrote:
> I understand that Zope X3 isn't ready yet, but according to the roadmap
> it should be done by April. Is that still realistic?

Yes, I updated all the dates 1 day before MS4 was released.

> I know that the rewrite will take at least a year, with all the things I
> got planned. So I wonder if I should do it directly in Zope3.

I think if you have a project that will take a year, you should be fine.

> Is there any idea as to when a (nearly) feature complete version of ZX3
> is available?

We have not defined the features we want for Zope X3 1.0 yet. However, I do
not think that should not be the factor on deciding on using Zope 3. I think
the more important question is about API stability. I expect API stability to
be present in early 2004. However, note that even the latest *geddons did not
cause many changes to a product. Often *geddons cause products to become
simpler.

Finally, a big project like yours might steer the set of features that we will
provide in Zope X3 1.0. I am pretty sure while doing a bigger project, you
will find a lot of loose ends and you can help us knotting them together. For
example, due to Sidnei and Alan's big project, we now have mutable schemas
and simple schema-based content types for through the web development.

> Is Milestone 4 close enough to feature complete ,so that I can start
> developing in it without having to completely rewrite everything many
> times?

MS 4 is was released in the middle of a set of very disruptive *geddons. I
plan to release MS 5 by the end of December. MS 5 will mark the end of the
*geddons. After this it should be all downhill. Of course there will be
features added and some minor refactorings, but nothing that should interrupt
product development too heavily.

> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/RoadMap

This one is up-to-date.

> like "There is a lot left to do"
> And if I go to that page, it only shows what needs to be done for
> milestone 3, but M4 is allready done.

This one is not. I forgot to completely get rid of the entries there and refer
to the Web page. I hope I will be able to bring the new bug tracker up to
speed over Christmas. Once that is complete, I plan to do all roadmap work
via the bug tracker, since it has dependency checking, completion statistics
and can handle releases, bugs, features and so on.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter