[Zope3-dev] Realistic Zope 3 roadmap ?

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Dec 4 10:00:27 EST 2003

Jake (aka BZ) wrote:

 > If you have a hard deadline of one year, I would NOT use Zope X3 or
Zope 3
 > for it. First of all, deadlines and priorities slip and those are only
 > those of Zope Corp. All other products will probably take another year
 > after the release of Zope 3 to get ported.

I don't have a hard deadline for the project. I have my own company,
doing mostly Zope/Plone based projects. What I am talking about is a
strategic platform that I want to use for many years ahead.

I will work on it beside the paying gigs. Those are allready in Zope
2.x. I will not abandon those.

But my main project is non-cmf based, has a lot of cruft, and it *will*
need a complete overhaul sometime in the next year anyway.

 > I would start with 2.7 and migrate nicely up to 2.8 as it comes out but
 > not move or build on a platform that is A) not done and B) not well
 > documented (that will take another 2 years).

That will be my main approach, but I would like to write the next
version of the software in ZX3 to get a clean long lasting platform.

I learned Z2 when it was poorly documented, so I guess I could learn Z3
the same way ;-)

I am fully aware that it isn't complete yet. I am just trying to get a
better feel for *how* uncomplete it is.

regards Max M