[Zope3-dev] Realistic Zope 3 roadmap ?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 4 10:21:16 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 09:47, Jake (aka BZ) wrote:
> If you have a hard deadline of one year, I would NOT use Zope X3 or Zope 3
> for it. First of all, deadlines and priorities slip and those are only
> those of Zope Corp. All other products will probably take another year
> after the release of Zope 3 to get ported.

While Jim does most of the work on Zope 3, he is not the only one working on
it. There is a whole lot of community involvement.

Secondly, there are some first projects that use Zope 3 and they are doing
just fine (maybe Sidnei, Alan, Marius, Albert or Steve should comment here in
detail). Once you are into Zope 3, it is fairly easy to stay up-to-date,
thanks due to good communication, proposals and detailed checkin-messages.

From Max's E-mail it does not sound like he depends on many products, so
product porting might not be an issue.

Finally, as self-declared documentation coordinator :-) I contest that we will
have bad/insufficient documentation and I try my best to have a lot of it in
a very good quality. To keep programmers and the rest of the community
informed, we try to release newsletters that outline new changes. Paul has
written some nice Zope 3 templating articles for ZopeMag. Jim always keeps
the Programmer Tutorial [200 slides + code in CVS] up-to-date, which serves
as a nice base for documentation. I update and expand constantly the
Developer's Cookbook [300+ pages at the moment] (currently out-of-date due to
the latest geddons -- will be fixed after exams are over) as another
dependable source of documentation. In fact, I already signed a contract with
SAMS to publish the book. The book will be out 2-3 months after X3 1.0,
though it will stay always available online. Also, all programming interfaces
are fully documented in their interface files, something that has yet to be
done completely for Zope 2.

For more information see http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/Documentation

Regards,
Stephan