[Zope3-dev] Re: Are the demo products broken in MS4?

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Wed Dec 10 19:29:54 EST 2003

Gobo Borz wrote:

> Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I'll try the XML
> and the messageboard cookbook.
>
> I don't know how far I can go with the messageboard
> tutorial, because I notice that starting in chapter 2
> there are references to "context/whatever". I
> understand that "context" has been geddonized in MS4,
> and  fear the changes broke the tutorial code. I just
> don't know enough (yet) to say.  And because I'm just
> starting, it might be difficult for me to figure out
> how to adjust the code.  I'll keep on trying....

I've been working through the cookbook too, starting on Monday, so I think it
should have been after the geddoning.

IIRC, the context/whatever stuff still works fine - it was the ContextWrapper
that's no longer there.  The only real change I recall having to make with
that in the 2nd recipe chapter was the section 5(b) "Thread Python View
Class" where you create a file named "thread.py".

I think all you have to do is

	delete the first line that imports ContextWrapper

         delete line 15 (wrapped = ...)

         change line 21 so it passes "child" instead of "wrapped" as the first
         parameter to Thread()

Seemed to work OK with just those minor changes.

-----

Another thing that didn't work was in section 3(b) "Create a Python-based
View class", filename is "message.py" lines 5 and 33 refer to "objectName",
that should be changed to "getName"

------

I believe I was able to complete the first two recipe chapters ok, and the
parts that were outdated were pretty easy to figure out - might have even
been a good learning experience to track the fixes down.

(wish now that I'd made notes of places I had to change code though)

	Barry